Heads up, Starting today, Monday October 17th, work will begin near the former Citizens Manufactured Gas Plant site to drill and collect soil and water samples and to further delineate potential MGP-related impacts that have migrated offsite.
The following off-site locations will include:
- 4th Street between Hoyt Street and Bond Street;
- Luquer Street and Nelson Street between Court Street and Smith Street;
- Huntington Street between Smith Street and the Gowanus Canal;
- 469 Smith Street property between the 240 Huntington Street site and 9th Street.
Each groundwater sample will be analyzed for the following Site-related constituents of concern:
- Benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, xylenes
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, consisting of acenaphthene, acenaphthylene, anthracene, benzo(a)anthracene, benzo(a)pyrene, benzo(b)fluoranthene, benzo(g,h,i)perylene, benzo(k)fluoranthene, chrysene, dibenzo(a,h)anthracene, fluoranthene, fluorene, indeno(1,2,3-cd)pyrene, 2-methylnaphthalene, naphthalene, phenanthrene, and pyrene
- Total cyanide
Benzene is a known cancer causing agent that can lead to Leukemia.
The full scope of work can be read here.
Stay tuned and stay present.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the upcoming work or, if you see something or smell something, immediately contact:
a) John Miller - NYSDEC Project Manager for the Citizens MGP site
b) Terri Thompson - Community representative for National Grid
Please share this information with folks you know who live or work near the above streets.